Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Steadfast



After just finishing a morning walk, I asked the Lord, “What is it you want me to study today?”  INSTANTLY that Michael W. Smith song rang in my ears, “My heart is steadfast, oh God, my heart is steadfast.”  And like most of us do, I questioned myself as to if that was God or not, but being that I haven’t listened to that song in a very long time, I thought I better perk my attention to what the Lord was saying.
Hadn’t given much thought to the specific word ‘steadfast’ before.  So I said, “Okay, Lord, steadfast… What about being steadfast?”  In my couple of minutes before getting back to the house, He told me to be steadfast was to be immovable, to be fixed in place.  He went on to say that every person was given the very breath they breathe to fulfill His purposes, to be steadfast in their callings.  He told me that we MUST pray for and check ourselves that we are maintaining a steadfast spirit, a sold out loyalty to our ordained purpose.  He showed me that it’s ONLY in that steadfastness that we will walk in the fullness of our call. 
I know it seems simple enough, but it’s just so great when what you “hear” is confirmed by what is “written.”  It’s so reassuring that we serve a God who truly speaks to His people TODAY! J
So back in the cozy house, I am warmed by what I read.
The dictionary defines steadfastness as: firmly fixed in place or direction, firm in purpose, firmly loyal, unwavering, loyal support that will endure strain…
With that in mind, I went to the Scriptures and read them with a “fuller” understanding of the term ‘steadfast.’
1.   Just as the Lord said we must pray for ourselves in regards to our steadfastness, we see David exhibit this in Psalm 51:10:
“Create in me a clean heart, O God, and RENEW A STEADFAST SPIRIT within me.” 
2.   It’s ONLY when our hearts are STEADFAST, fully fixed upon our purpose that we will abound [be rich, in full supply] in the work God has called us to. Let NOTHING move you. 1 Corinthians 15:58
                   
3.   Jesus will present us holy, blameless, and above reproach in His sight, “If indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and STEADFAST, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard.” Colossians 1:23
            
4.   “For we have become partakers of Christ IF we hold the beginning of our confidence STEADFAST to the end.”  Hebrews 3:14
So yeah, I have this word ‘steadfast’ steadily on my mind.  And for that I am very grateful to the Lord for showing me.  Peter warns believers:
“You therefore, beloved, since you know this beforehand, beware lest you also fall from your own steadfastness, being led away with the error of the wicked.” 2 Peter 3:17
STEADFASTNESS: A heart positioned to receive and walk in Gods perfect will

No comments:

Post a Comment