Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Woman at the Well


 
 
"You've been married FIVE times, are living with a man, and engaging in sex before marriage." 

Words of condemnation?  Was Jesus telling her she was unclean and needed to repent? OR were these words of compassion spoken from Love Himself? Perhaps revealing her secret in order to receive her heart.

He knew her.  He knew her pain. He knew her past.  He knew her present.   At that very moment, Jesus became the face of the Father that loves us no matter how stained and soiled we are.    Right smack dab in the middle of her mess, He initiates a relationship with her. 

This woman knew all about religion and the law.  I’m sure her family taught her the rules and traditions of what "worship" was to look like.  Yet her heart still ached.  There was a void that wasn't being filled by knowing all the right things to say and do.  She probably mastered the "art" of appearing religious, while maintaining a hidden lifestyle.   She grew to understand that acceptance and love are only given when you act a certain way and maintain a certain look.  Yet Jesus comes along and shows her another way.  He wasn’t interested in her weekly "timecard punch” at church, her singing a few songs, her fluent Christian lingo, or her proper and polite speech...  He wanted her eyes to be opened to true worship. Worship is about Him having all of her, and her having all of Him.  True worship is birthed out of relationship. 

He says, "I want you to understand My heart toward you.  I want you to know that I love you regardless of yourself.  I know all your weaknesses and sin struggles, and I still love you.  I already know that apart from My Spirit you cannot fix it yourself.  It’s out of a love relationship with Me where your true freedom is found.  Stop trying.  Stop beating yourself up because you keep messing up.  The more you drink of My life-giving water, you will learn how to just be.  It won't be striving anymore for you.  The only "doing" you need is to stay close to Me.   Staying close to Me is what worship is all about.  As I pour into you, who I've created you to be will come out naturally."

 
 

Drawing from a source

That is only temporary

A thirst never quenched

Issues only buried

 

A desire that is craved

But you never truly get

No matter how much you have

The need is never met

 

Come see what I offer

You’ll never again thirst

It’ll become a well within you

In which eternal life is birthed

 


If I told you all your secrets

And counted your failed tries

Would you draw from My well?

Where you’ll finally be satisfied?

 
(John 4)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment