Monday, November 14, 2011

Fulfilling Your Spouse



We all have our ideals of what we want to GET out of our marriages, but what are we willing to GIVE?  Laying aside our desires for just a moment, let’s think about our spouses. What could we do to assure them they are loved? What would make them feel secure, safe, and truly cared for?  We all have an innate need for these things. What are we doing to daily fulfill it for our partner? 

It truly is more blessed to give than to receive. To have the privilege to make someone feel special, and to make their life a little easier is priceless.  Wives, wouldn't it bring you unspeakable joy to know that when your husband leaves the house each day, he can't wait to get home to YOU?  Husbands, can you imagine the “spring” you’d have in your step in knowing your wife excitedly anticipates for you to get home from work?

When we just “take life as it comes,” all too often we set ourselves up for failure. This is true in our homes as well.  We can say we want to have a healthy and happy home, but there is just something about writing it down.   It's like when you are making plans for the day with things you wish to accomplish.  Once you make a checklist of those things, you feel obligated or accountable to do that which you have set in your heart to do.  Likewise, when you get specific as to the spouse you want to be, you are more apt to take the steps to becoming just that.  Then share it with your spouse.  What a sweet moment it will bring when they see your heart’s desire is to bring them joy!

How does this sound?        
 
As your lifetime best friend ~ I want to bring you joy
A place of safety ~ where you can be vulnerable
I want to hold your hand ~ as an encourager, your biggest fan
As your faithful lover ~ I want to make you feel like the man (woman) you are

I commit to talking things through ~ walls never being built
I will protect your feelings ~ even if I do not agree or understand
I will always do my best ~ to show you how much you’re loved
I want you to never doubt ~ how proud I am that you are mine

I want our home ~ to be a peaceful haven
A place you can retreat to ~ to be refreshed from each day’s challenges
I want to make you feel alive ~ adding smiles to your life
Whatever it is I can do ~ I want to make life easier for you

This is possible!  We have to throw out the 50/50, self seeking mindset “I’ll do for you if you do for me.”  Marriage is teamwork. What team ever succeeded with players only giving fifty percent?

100/100 carries a whole different perspective: to solely seek to satisfy your partner’s needs.   If we want a truly fulfilling marriage, both sides have to give their all, all the time. What have you done TODAY, with no strings attached, to show your spouse how much you love them?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this wonderful message. I copied it in my handwriting and am giving it to my wife tonight.

    Don't worry, I won't take credit for writing it, although I certainly wish that I had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Kurt! Blessings on you and your wife! :)

    ReplyDelete